photo by Lafayette College
You’ve probably already gotten more advice than you know what to do with, but if you need a little reinforcement, here are a few pointers.
The Good – how to do college right
- Go to Freshman Orientation – That’s where you learn all the school traditions, cheers, game information, etc.
- Dorm life. Make friends with your RA, it might come in handy down the road.
- Explore campus life. Try out yelp or google places or groupon for the local hot spots, eateries and things to do nearby.
- Register early for your classes. Work out your schedule, meet with your advisor, and register early! Leaving it till the last minute might get you left out of classes you want and need.
- Meet your professors. Go find their offices, check out when their hours are, and introduce yourself. It can really help if they can put a face with your name and could actually get you a better grade.
- Go to some activities. Join a few clubs, greek life or intermural sports teams, meet people and make friends.
- Have a good attitude and think positive. Everyone is in the same boat!
The Bad – common misconceptions and things not to do.
- Landline for your dorm room. With a cell phone and Skype, who needs it?
- Freshman year grades don’t really count. Oh yes they do! Make sure they’re good!
- Get all of your Gen-Ed classes out of the way. This can make your first college year memorable in a very bad way. Give yourself a break and make time for a fun elective.
- You don’t really need to go to class. Mmmm, not a good choice. Just think of the missed opportunities to scope out the hotties in your classes.
The Ugly – Uh, I don’t know! Just have a great first year at college!
Feel free to post comments or advice for freshman heading to college.
(c) All Rights Reserved For Dorm Room Movers