Oh, how we’ve missed you finals…NOT. Yep it’s time for finals again a.k.a. all nighters (not the fun kind), studying, libraries, notecards, study guides, study groups, cramming all semester’s information into one test and living off of snacks and coffee or energy drinks. Sounds stressful, right? Well, we can’t make finals go away (unfortunately) but we can try to help you destress for them.
Stress doesn’t just come before the exam, it comes during and lasts until after too! Don’t worry, we broke our tips up into 3 sections just for you…
- Take regular breaks– Use these to exercise, get snacks, walk around, watch the latest episode of your fav show or even check out some funny stuff online.
- Snack on healthy foods and drinks– Energy drinks can help with those all nighters, but make sure your body is getting the nutrients you need! Trail mix, water and fruits are highly suggested and will keep you fuller and concentrated
- Make a schedule– What are you studying from 1-3 and what about the rest of the day? Making a routine for yourself will keep you organized and on task. Don’t forget to schedule those breaks and maybe even some naps too!
- Take a hot shower/bath– The warm water will loosen up your muscles and wash the stress right away! Maybe even use calming scents like lavender or vanilla body wash, soap, lotion or bubble bath.
- Breathe– Remember, you did the best you can do and it will be alright! Some studies even say to paint your fingernails a bright color and when you look down at them, they will remind you to take a deep breath
- Don’t Rush– Take your time to read over all of the instructions and questions. Answer the questions that you reviewed the answers too first and then go back to the others after.
- Take a break– Feeling overwhelmed? You’re not alone. Put your pencil down and tell yourself it will be okay. Take a few deep breaths and stretch out your neck, arms and back a bit before beginning again
- Manage your time– This could be a difficult one, but try to leave yourself some time for those questions that you need to go back to. If all else fails and you only have a few minutes left, put something down on those questions. Be sure not to leave anything blank unless you absolutely have to.
- Let it go– Looking back on your notes about those 7 questions you were unsure about may be tempting, but don’t obsess over what could have been. Take a deep breath and let it out. You survived! Now you can put your notes away after quickly going over them and put it out of your mind until you get your grade.
- Treat yourself– You did it! Now, you deserve something right? Whether it is food, buying yourself something or getting a massage, reward yourself.
- Sleep– You’ve been staying up until 1, sometimes 3 am to study and it has taken it’s toll. So now it’s time to catch up on your sleep! Put on your favorite movie or tv show of the week and curl up for a nap…you deserve it!
- Hang out with friends– You’ve probably been so enthralled in your notes, you have been deprived of social interaction. Well, now is the time to get back to being that social butterfly you were! School is ending and you may not see your friends all summer so make sure to fit that last brunch, lunch, happy hour or just group hang out with your friends!